From: Walden H. Leverich [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 15:04
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Allowing internal SMTP but not external

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I'm pushing the idea of
[EMAIL PROTECTED] so they can receive SMTP e-mails from the inside
world. As it happens the sending program on the AS/400 simply connects to
port 25 on the Exchange box so there is no need for MX records, we just told
IMS that .internal should be routed <inbound>.

The only down side is that users can still send e-mail. We can't disable all
outbound SMTP on the server since there are some users that are allowed
"real" addresses. When we presented our idea of "invalid" smtp addresses the
response we got was "we can't give these users access to the internet" which
isn't exactly what we are suggesting so I think it's time to thwap a
customer or two.

If someone could suggest an idea to prevent these users with invalid SMTP
address from SENDING to the net while allowing users with valid SMTP to send
we'd be all set, but I appreciate all the help I've received so far.

May everyone have a happy and healthy holiday!

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software