Hi folks, hope everyone had a good new year. I need some background to
help troubleshoot a strange problem.  Way back when, when we were still on
5.5, we moved our mailboxes to a new server, and though we had no problem
with any of the boxes or connectivity (thanks Mr. Crowley!) for some
reason 5.5 system administrator continued to list the old server in it's
console, but it was of course unaccessible, and since it no longer existed
and didn't seem to foul anything up, we didn't worry about it.  When we
upgraded the server to 2000, the phantom server still appears, though it
is now greyed out in exchange system manager.

I'm not sure what triggered it, but recently our tranaction logs started
growing a a rediculous rate (3/min!) to the point where the HD was full,
IS stopped, yada, yada.  After sleuthing about a bit, it seemed that every
time the MS Exchange MTA Stacks service started, the following errors were
logged in the app log, and then the transaction logs started expanding:

A loop has been detected in the message C=US;A=
;P=Juilliard;L=MAILBOX-020102152109Z-1 being transferred in. A
non-delivery report was generated with reason code unable-to-transfer and
diagnostic code loop-detected. [MTA XFER-IN 11 104] (14)

and

A non-delivery report (reason code unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code
loop-detected) is being generated for message C=US;A=
;P=Juilliard;L=MAILBOX-020102152109Z-1. It was originally destined for
DN:CN=MICROSOFT PUBLIC
MDB,CN=EXCHANGE,CN=SERVERS,CN=CONFIGURATION,OU=BLACKBAUD-DC,O=JUILLIARD
(recipient number 1), and was to be redirected to . [MTA DISP:ROUTER 11
136] (12)

so, there is a loop. ok got that.

Question one: even after these events are logged the trans logs fill up as
though the loop is continuing. why?

Question two: with only one server in the network right now, do i need the
MTA service? My workaround was to stop the service, and everything seems
to be funtioning ok. we do plan on expanding at some point, so i will need
it working properly eventually.

Question three: How do i get rid of the phantom server, doing which i
suspect will fix the MTA problem?

If you've made it this far, and think you have some insights, a thousand
thank yous.

Jeremy