At 10:39 AM 1/9/2002 -0600, WILLIAMS,JESSICA D wrote:
>Having just moved to Louisiana three years ago I quickly discovered that
>nothing here is pronounced as it is spelled.  They also like to think the
>word go is spell geaux.
>
>Geaux figure.

I'm Louisianan by marriage (Midwesterner by birth)... Guidrys and Landrys
are about as common down there as cypress trees. You can tell people who
really live there because they can correctly pronounce things like
Natchitoches. It's taken years but I'm finally to the point where I don't
sound like a tourist when I visit. Fortunately I took years of French in
school or phrases like "mais yeah" would throw me. Also, verb conjugation
is weird... "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and they have a
host of special words and phrases all their own (like "lagniappe").

-----
K. Triona Guidry
Guidry Consulting, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]