I've set up a lab to test our AD migration plan, but I've ran into a problem
and was wondering if anyone out there knows the solution.

Short version:

How do you completely remove all information about a domain from AD if the
DC for that domain is not available?

Long version:

I created an AD domain called ads.kimball.com which is the first domain in
the forest. I then installed the ADC (but defined no CAs), did forestprep
and domain prep. This all went smooth - just like in the whitepapers. I set
up DNS on the ads.kimball.com to handle the ads.kimball.com zone.

I cloned our production NT4 master user domain (4000 users) PDC and moved it
to the lab. When I did the win2k upgrade on this server, the first reboot
hung. However, I cycled power and the upgrade seemed to continue normally.
The wizard came up that walked me through upgrading to AD. I installed the
old NT4 domain (KII) as kii.kimball.com in the existing forest. I installed
DNS to handle the kii.kimball.com zone.

But that is the end of the joy... After rebooting the kii.kimball.com domain
controller, it sat at the "Preparing Network Connections" screen for 15
minutes, popped up a "service didn't start" message, and finally let me log
in. Upon logging in and checking the event viewer, I found that it was the
netlogon service that wouldn't start. It was complaining that it could not
update DNS. Sure enough, when I check DNS on that server, it appeared OK but
the kii.kimball.com zone was empty.

At that point, I blew the kii.kimball.com domain controller away, and
re-cloned our NT 4 PDC. Unfortunately, now when I try to upgrade the NT4 KII
domain into AD as kii.kimball.com, I get the message that kii.kimball.com
already exists. I can't find any way of deleting domains in the AD tools.

I've tried using ADSUTIL as outlined in Q216498 (removing active directory
data after an unsuccessful demotion), which gave no errors, but I still
can't upgrade KII.

All my win2k servers were patched to SP2, and the NT 4 server was at sp6a.