From: Ed Crowley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:04 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Opinions on distribution list vs. public discussion folder
vs. m ailbox

Both have benefits.
Design the best solution
With your customers.

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP kcCC+I
Tech Consultant
Compaq Computer Corporation

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Jim Helfer
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 7:59 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Opinions on distribution list vs. public discussion folder vs.
m ailbox

  A user came to me with a request to set up a new GAL Distribution list
for the members of a commitee, for the purpose of  having a place that
other employees can e-mail questions and have them addressed by members
of the commitee (it's a CAD Standards commitee, and people have been
using the excuse that they don't know who to ask when they have
questions about the proper rules).

  I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to set up a public folder that
people could post to, or just have a single mailbox that would be
monitored by whomever is interested?  Or is a DL the best solution for
this?

  I guess what I am worried about is a flood of people wanting me to
create Public distribution lists for every comittee or project.  Besides
being a bit of a hassle to maintain the proper membership, we only have
about 100 "real mailboxes" in the GAL now, and it might be confusing for
people if there are so many distribution lists mixed in there.

  Just wondering how other people handle this.  I know the answer is
"however management thinks best serves the business needs of the
organization", but the boss is going to ask me the best way to set this
up.

 Thanks for any ideas

 Jim Helfer