We have a small Organisation consisting of 2 sites, each site having a
single server. Each server holds mail for a different company, so company
emails are split across different sites.

My question is this. The first Exchange server we had, which was used to
create both the Organisation and the first Site is redundant. It holds no
mailboxes, and no Public folders. The Exchange Services have been stopped
and have not been running for several months. The defunct server is also
PDC for our NT Domain... not ideal, but we are only a small company. I
would like to remove the initial installation of Exchange from the PDC,
but don't know if doing so will cause problems. The Server is not listed
in either site as being active, and having the exchange services disabled
has not caused any problems. Is there any problem likely to be caused by
removing Exchange from this Server? I'm wondering if something buried in
the registries of either of the current mail servers is dependent on the
installation being present on the PDC?

I have current backups of the Exchange Organisation, just in case!

Many Thanks

John