You did run perfwiz after installing SP4, right?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kalligonis, Tim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 2:23 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange memory problem

W2K SP1, Exchange 5.5 SP4 with Post SP4 IS hotfix (store.exe ver.
5.5.2654.89)

I have gotten this error twice today and once about 3 weeks ago.  It causes
users not to see and mail in any of their folders. A restart of the services
resolve the issue.

Event ID 1160
Database resource failure error Out of memory occurred in function
JTAB_BASE::EcCreateIndex while accessing the database.

I've read Q216259 and Q195006 and they both say the resolutions were in past
service packs. In Q195006 it says The Exchange Server 5.5 Performance Wizard
(Perfwiz) makes calculations about how much virtual memory will be used by
using the amount of physical RAM as an indicator. When 2 GB of RAM is
physically installed, Perfwiz will assume that it can allocate up to 2 GB of
virtual memory for a process. This amount of virtual memory may not be free
in a process's address space, so attempting to allocate this much virtual
memory may fail.
So I check the virtual memory that is set.  The server has 4 GB of physical
memory and the virtual memory is set to 2000-4095MB.  It recommends 4906 but
when I try to create a page file that big it tells me it can only go up to
4095MB.  There is about 180 GB of available space on the drive I am trying
to create the page file on. In Exch Optimizer I do not have any memory
restriction set. Has anyone else seen this problem and have a resolution?