<quote>
Does the vulnerability affect the SMTP service in Exchange Server 5.5?

No. Exchange 5.5, even if installed on Windows 2000, uses its own SMTP
service, which is not affected by the vulnerability
</quote>

<Siegfried />

SMTP
> service, but it is not installed by default.
> - Windows 2000 server products do install the SMTP service by default.
> However, best practices recommend disabling any unneeded services, and
> systems on which the SMTP service had been disabled would not be at
risk.
> - Exchange 5.5, even if installed on a Windows 2000 server, is not
> affected
> by the vulnerability.
> - The result of an attack would be limited to disrupting the SMTP
service
> and, depending on the system configuration, potentially IIS and other
> internet services as well.  However, it would not disrupt any other
system
> functions.
> - The vulnerability would not enable an attacker to gain any
privileges on
> the affected system or to access users' email or data.
>
> Vulnerability identifier: CAN-2002-0055
>

> This email is sent to NTBugtraq automatically as a service to my
> subscribers. Since its programmatically created, and since its been a
long
> time since anyone paid actual money for my programming skills, it may
or
> may
> not look that good...;-]
>
> I can only hope that the information it does contain can be read well
> enough
> to serve its purpose.
>
> Cheers,
> Russ - Surgeon General of TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oo
> oo
> Delivery co-sponsored by Qualys - Make Your Network Secure

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oo
> oo
> Go Beyond PARTIAL Security: FREE White Paper
>
> Stop hassling with half-baked ENTERPRISE SECURITY.
> FREE White Paper shows you how to ensure TOTAL security for your
Internet
> perimeter with the most current and most complete PROACTIVE
Vulnerability