Unless you would like to offload such things as gateway antivirus protection
and content screening. Those are good applications to put on relay servers
like you are talking about.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Scharff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 12:02 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: IMS routing question:

A relay server of some kind /can/ be a good idea for security reasons... but
there's no reason that relay server couldn't be an IIS SMTP server instead
of a Sendmail server (i.e. there's nothing magic about Sendmail). If your
IMS server is a dedicated box (no mailboxes) the need for a relay server is
somewhat diminished in my mind.