Folks,
I apologize if this is an annoying question, I've been reading some faq's on
the subject and just wanted some tips from someone who has been through
this.

Situation:  I have an Exchange 5.5 Server Running on WINNT at service pack
4.  Currently the exchange server is a BDC and handles some file sharing
along with running arcserve to back up itself and another server.  I know
this is not the ideal way to handle things but it's what I inherited.  The
exchange server has been limping along with some performance issues and
unchecked users for sometime.  I have another server just like it that I
want to move Exchange to and retire the old one.  At some point in the next
year we will be switching mail systems entirely to something that is a good
deal simpler.  Exchange is a little to much for our organization and can eat
a great deal of administrative time just limping along.  At present my
organization is still primarily WINNT, no plans for adopting an active
directory structure and the exchange server will not have to be a BDC any
longer.

I've done my reading and in a nutshell here is my plan.
1) Install a Windows 2000 server with hardware RAID5 and a seperate disk for
swap space.
2) Install it with the latest and greatest version of IIS and run the IIS
lockdown tool.
3) Run every service pack and hot fix known to man/microsoft
3) Disable the native 2000 SMTP service.
4) Create a Exchange Service account that matches the current servers
account exactly.
5) Do an offline backup of Exchange on the current server.
6) Unplug the current Exchange server from the network.
7) Remove it from the domain.
8) Join the new Exchange server to the domain
9) Install Exchange 5.5 using all the same site information.
10) Apply service pack 4
11) Run the Exchange optimizer and copy the file locations.
12) Copy the data from the offline backup to the new locations on the new
server.
13) Bring up Exchange and pray everything worked.
14) Conduct an offline backup of the current Exchange server.

Back out plan
1) Remove the Windows2000 Exchange server from the domain
2) Create a new computer account for the old Exchange server
3) Plug the new Exchange server back in and pray.

Please comment freely I'm not really sure about the backout because of the
current Exchange server being a BDC.

Also In my readings I have come across the term KM Server Service and I am
not sure what that is refering too.

Erik Lewis
Technology Librarian
Georgia Public Library Service