nbtstat -a workstationname

Gives something like this (note IP address and MAC address):

E:\WINNT>nbtstat -a nts51

\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EF089F68-2FA3-4D88-B995-489E72F64BBF}:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

    Host not found.

Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [167.178.70.30] Scope Id: []

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    NTS51          <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    KII            <00>  GROUP       Registered
    NTS51          <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    NTS51          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    KIM37          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    KIM42          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    INet~Services  <1C>  GROUP       Registered
    IS~NTS51.......<00>  UNIQUE      Registered

    MAC Address = 00-A0-C9-EB-03-49

If the MAC address comes back as 0's, you are most likely dealing with a
unix/samba box.