We are running Exchange 2000 SP3 on two servers in the same organisation. The second
one has only been added recently, and only has one mailbox on it so far. We set up the
original server's SMTP virtual server to use a smarthost which is a UNIX server, as it
isn't accessible from the Internet, and can't access it either. Now we've added the
second server, and set up its virtual server in a similar way. I was expecting the two
Exchange servers to communicate directly when handling messages for mailboxes on each
other (i.e. in the Exchange organisation), but use the smart host for all other mail.
However, this isn't what's happening. Instead, all messages for mail stores not on the
same server are going to the UNIX system, and the format of the message bodies looks
pretty odd (lots of 8-bit data, for example). The SMTP interaction seems to break down
after the bulk of the message has been received, and the UNIX server claims that the
Exchange server has gone away (timeout).

A complication with this is that the primary address for all recipients in the
organisation ends in a domain that is shared with the UNIX server. However, I've
followed the instructions in Microsoft's Q321721 (shared address spaces), and until we
added the second server, all messages were delivered fine, to mailboxes on both the
Exchange and UNIX server. It's still only the messages between the two Exchange
servers that have a problem.

Should I be using an SMTP connector rather than just the virtual server? Can anyone
shed any light on what's going on?

Max Caines
IT Services, University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV1 1SB
Tel: 01902 322245 Fax: 01902 322699