From: Alverson, Tom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 10 January 2003 18:35
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Ntbackup vs. Veritas for Exch 5.5 D/R ??

Our old exchange box is running NT4 and exchange 5.5 with veritas backup
exec 7.3 (and the exchange addon).  I have just set up a new server with
win2k server and exchange 5.5 and I am considering just using ntbackup for
D/R (disaster recovery).

I understand the adavantages of the Veritas backup database for file backup
and recovery, but in the case of recovering an exchange server I'm not sure
what extra I am getting from veritas.  One thing that ntbackup will do that
I have not been able to do with Veritas is backup to a file.  With Ntbackup,
I can do a full backup to another hard drive and then another second
complete backup to a tape every night.  I can still have the tapes offsite
etc, but now also have a much faster restore off of another hard drive.

Tom Alverson

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be
confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Any
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender. The
views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of
Sony or Sony affiliated companies. Sony email is for business use only.

(6)