Microsoft's definitions are sometimes interesting. Where the Mx records
point generally doesn't matter...
http://mail-resources.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re
q=viewarticle&artid=2 might help you to troubleshoot.

On 2/12/03 13:39, "Jeffrey Dubyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chris -  Thanks for the info - looks like it could be an MX issue as the MX
record for the customer points to oldcustomername.com not
newcustomername.com (although both names are still valid).  FYI - If you
check out MSKB 284204, it does say that 550 maps to a "Generic protocol
error (SMTP error)".  Any suggestions on how to use the info in rfc821 to
determine what the issue is and why it is sporadic?  Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Chris Scharff
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 10:39 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: Strange 550 error

It means exactly what it says (and 550 isn't terribly generic).

Domain.com is not a local host on the server you connected to and that
server is also not a gateway for it. Either your DNS is fscked or one or
more of their Mx records is improperly configured. Using telnet and the
basic SMTP commands in RFC821 will allow you to confirm this for yourself if

you'd like.[1]

[1] Essential skills to pick up, now is as good a time as any.