Me? I would configure a VPN tunnel from Firewall to Firewall
..let them talk...no port worries...

bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Nizar El-Assaad [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 4:29 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange Server and Firewalls

Hello

I have a Windows NT 4 domain with two Exchange Servers 5.5. The two
servers are located in two different geographical sites, and connect
through a Site Connector. The Exchange servers are also domain
controllers. I am configuring the firewall between the two sites (they
connect through the internet). I came across a lot of articles in MS
Knowledge Base. In one article (154596 - Configure RPC Dynamic Port
Allocation to Work with Firewall), it states that I can set a range of
TCP ports over 1024 (preferably over 5000) for dynamic ports needed for
RPC communication (in addition to port 135). In other articles related
to Exchange server (notably the following: 176466 - TCP Ports and
Microsoft Exchange: In-depth Discussion; 155831 - Setting TCP/IP ports
for Exchange and Outlook Client Connections Through a Firewall; 161931 -
Configuring MTA TCP/IP Port # for X.400 and RPC Listens; 148732 -
Setting TCP/IP Port Numbers for Internet Firewalls), they tell you how
to allocate static ports to the various Exchange services. Now the
question is: If I set a range of TCP ports (say from 5000 to 5020) as
stated in article 154596, and make these ports available on the
firewall, will it be sufficient as all the Exchange services use RPC
communication or do I still need to allocate static ports for these
services? In the latter case, should these ports fall in the range that
I allowed in Windows NT RPC communication or should they be outside this
range? In other words, will Exchange use ports in this range or is this
range restricted for Windows NT Services (DHCP, WINS, NetBIOS sessions,
etc.)?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards
Nizar El-Assaad