-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 3:55 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Backup Domain Controller causing problems???

Hello,

Could someone please throw some ideas my way, as to why having a
Secondary Domain Controller active on the network, could mess up
authentication?

If I have our BDC turned on and active on the network, and our users
attempt to fire up their Outlook from the outside (using Exchange RPC
Server published through our ISA Server), they are unable to
authenticate.  However, if I turn off our BDC, then they can
authenticate just fine.  This is also the case from time to time, when
workstations are initially turned on, and perform their initial login
into the Domain.

It's almost as if the BDC, is responding first to the authentication
requests, and doesn't have a current copy of all the user/password
information.  I say that, because by turning off the BDC, everything
works fine once again.

This may be my ignorance - regarding how Domain Controllers differ from
NT4.0 versus Windows 2000 networks.  It's my understanding that a Backup
Domain Controller - simply makes a copy of all items in Active Directory
- users, computers, passwords, etc. and then responds to requests if the
Primary Domain Controller doesn't respond in a timely manner.  Is there
anything else, other than using the setup wizard, and joining the
Forest, that I need to do in order to properly set up a Backup Domain
Controller?  I would think, that going through the setup wizard, and
simply letting it run on the network, was all there was to it.

Am I missing something here?  Do I need to initiate some kind of
replication process, or synchronization in order to get the BDC current
with it's information? (provided that this is even the problem?)

If anyone could offer *anything* regarding this subject, I would be
grateful, as I see it to be very important to have our BDC operational
in case our PDC ever dies.

Thanks,

Mike