Here is the article from the newsletter:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 1:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Technology & Business Daily "E-Business Secrets" from
InfoWorld.com, March 19, 2003

BRIAN LIVINGSTON   "E-Business Secrets"    InfoWorld.com

Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Advertising Sponsor - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
INTRODUCING THE NEW NEC VERSA LITEPAD:
THE THINNEST, LIGHTEST TABLET PC ON THE PLANET!
Only 2.2 pounds and just .6-inches thick, the Versa LitePad
features Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, integrated
wireless connectivity, a bundled productivity suite
and more. It's the ultimate digital paper experience!
To get the white paper "Inventing the Tablet PC" go to:
http://63.115.136.15/go/infoworld/5342314.html

PREVIEW SPAM AND YOU'LL GET MORE

By Brian Livingston

Posted March 19, 2003 6:00 AM Pacific Time

I described in the past month ways to prevent e-mail addresses
on your Web site from being collected by "harvester" programs
that feed spammer's lists (see E-Business Secrets issues from
Feb. 26 and March 5).

You can solve an even bigger problem by keeping your business
addresses from receiving more spam than they already get.

Other publications often warn you not to click the unsubscribe
link of an e-mail message; if you do, it confirms your
address and you'll get more spam. I'm convinced that this
advice is dead wrong. Legitimate e-mail newsletters do honor
unsubscribe requests, but most spammers don't honor them or
use them in any manner, if their unsubscribe links even
work.

Now there's a fascinating study that shows one of the real
mechanisms that multiplies the spam your addresses receive.
Out-law.com, a respected Web site maintained by British law
firm Masons, ran an experiment that demonstrates this
effect:

1. The law firm first set up numerous e-mail addresses that
were unused except for being posted on various Web pages.

2. These addresses were soon "harvested" by software that
searches Web pages for addresses. Spam messages began pouring
in.

3. For the first two weeks of the experiment, the researchers
did what novice Internet users do: They opened the messages
that were received.

4. They found that 83 percent of the spam being received
contained a coded "tracking" image. When the image was
downloaded to be displayed in the message, it alerted the
senders that a message sent to a specific address had been
viewed. This is now the most prevalent mechanism by which
spammers find "live" accounts, in my opinion.

5. Two weeks after opening the messages, the accounts that had
been used received almost twice the volume of spam as
before.

6. The researchers then began "bouncing" messages. To do this,
they programmed their mail server to reply with a generic
error indicating nondelivery. Only two weeks after taking
this step, spam to these accounts decreased by 40 percent.

The bottom line? You can significantly reduce the spam that
the addresses on your Web site receive by:

1. Not viewing messages that are likely to be spam.

2. Sending a "bounce" message to those messages that you deem
to be spam.

It's important to note that the "preview pane" of Microsoft
Outlook and similar e-mail packages downloads any images in
your incoming messages. This activates the tracking codes in
the same way as if you had fully opened the messages.

In my office, therefore, we turn off the preview pane of our
e-mail programs before deleting messages that the From line
or the Subject line indicate are spam. In Outlook, you can
turn off the preview pane by clicking View, Preview Pane. In
Outlook Express, it's View, Layout. (In various versions of
Outlook and other programs, the menu placement may differ.)

It's trickier for you to send an "undeliverable" bounce to the
senders of spam. Any mail server can do this, of course, but
the hard part is integrating the controls of each user's
e-mail program with this capability. With the volume of spam
roughly quintupling every 12 months, I'm sure a button with
this feature ("Delete and Bounce") will become a familiar
part of all e-mail packages before long.

If you have more information about this or wish to send me a
tip on any other subject, please send e-mail with "tip" in
the subject line to: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A summary of the study of spam and the tracking codes in
downloadable images is at

http://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/4e84