From: Neil Doody [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 June 2003 15:04
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Arcserve and restoring public folder calander

I know this is a long shot because arcserve is so crap, but I was
wondering if someone may have an answer :o

Basically ive been backing up with arcserve the public folders, today I
have needed to restore something.  I have the exchange agent which as
far as I know is correctly installed, everything checks out fine anyway.
I do a restore by session, because I have given a serial number to all
the tapes in my pool by day, so I choose 1000004, which would be
Thursdays backup.  I go to the public folders in the exchange agent, I
choose "Sellafield calendar", it says that it is just over 2 meg in
size, I choose to restore to original location and click run.

The backup job runs but comes up with this message :-

E8603 Failed to write to database.  (DBNAME=Public Folders\Sellafield
Calendar, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent - (402) "Exchange system error".)

However, the backup seems to restore one item from the calendar.  Ive
tried running it for alternate destinations, but it just crashes.

It appears that there is 2 meg of data backed up, yet it only attempts
to restore 33KB?  Is there any other way of getting data off this tape?