You want a separate TREE in the forest, not a child domain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Beckwith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 11:54 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange and AD Question

This question may be a little off the list subject but you guys are some of the
best authorities I know so I wanted your opinions. (Note the subtle
butt-kissing)

Situation:
Single domain forest with single Exchange Server and total 4 DC. About 85
Employees. Class C IP block with fixed IP addresses for all. We are in the
process of starting up a new venture company and want to keep them relatively
separate from our main organization so as they grow, they can be easily
separated if so chosen. We have our web presence under ourcompany.org and have
reserved a domain theircompany.com for the new company's web presence. We have
also set up recipient policies in Exchange to receive email sent to
theircompany.com for the first couple users we have set up in our domain.

Question.
What would be the best way to set up this new company in our AD organization to
meet the requirements of easy separation in the future, while allowing us to
continue serving them with our single Exchange server and with minimal
additional expense and complexity.

We have been looking into the possibility of setting up a child domain for them
so that they can have separate security and domain suffix but are unsure if we
can do this without adding a subnet or some other complexity.

I appreciate any opinions or recommendations from the wise ones of the list
(more butt-kissing).

Thanks...

                Ray Beckwith
                Network Administrator
                California Credit Union League
                Information Technology
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                www.ccul.org

Thought for the day:
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very
narrow field.
                --Niels Bohr

An expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in
his subject, and how to avoid them.
                --Werner Karl Heisenberg