ADSIEdit

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Clishe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 11:14 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange permissions

I've recently inherited an Exchange 2000 Organization. One of the first
things that I noticed was that all Domain and Enterprise Administrators
have the ability to open and read anyone's mailboxes. I've checked the
ACL on our mailbox store (we only have one), and both Domain Admins and
Enterprise Admins have an inherited "Allow" under Send As and Receive
As. Obviously this is not the default configuration.

I've made the registry adjustment listed in Q259221 to allow me to see
the security tab at the Org level. Even at the Org level, Domain and
Enterprise Admins are still inheriting an allowed Send As and Receive
As.

But here's something else I noticed: when I use the Delegation Wizard at
the Org level to add an Exchange Full Administrator, and then check the
ACL on the Org, the new administrator that I just added gets inherited
allows on Send As and Receive As, but also gets explicit denies on both
of those ACE's. From that point down the heirarchy, only the explicit
deny is inherited.

So my question is this. At the org level, by default, are Domain Admins
and Enterprise Admins set with inherited allows *and* explicit denies on
Send As and Receive As? This would indicate to me that perhaps a
previous administrator here simply removed the explicit deny?

If someone could check the ACL on your Exchange Org and let me know what
permissions Domain Admins and Enterprise Admins have, I'd much
appreciate it.

Thanks

Jason