From: knighTslayer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 10:43 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Paperless workflow and digital signatures

Matt,

If you mean S/MIME when stating digital signatures, then your solution
may be problematic or difficult to achieve.

A digital signature only provides security by showing the recipient that
the sender is authentic (by checking their certificate is valid) and
that the message hasn't been tampered with in transit.  It also carries
the senders public key for encryption purposes, if configured.  As I
understand it.

The problem with email is that you can never guarantee that the message
has been read by the recipient unless you get them to purposely
acknowledge the receipt of a message.