I'm beginning the process of an in-place upgrade from Exchange 5.5 SP4 to
Exchange 2000, and I wanted to make sure I had the right ideas about how to
go about this.

1.  I downloaded the In-Place Upgrade Whitepaper from Microsoft.  Is this a
definitive document or is there something in the document that is, in your
experience, junk?  I'd hate to follow this and find out MS has something
wrong...

2.  The server that 5.5 currently resides on is Windows 2000, SP 3, and is
in an NT 4.0 domain at the moment.  I assume I need to bring it into the AD
before I can begin this upgrade process?  Should I do this only if I want to
avoid having to use the ASD connectors?  I'm a bit confused on this point.

3.  I'm trying to get my AD administrators to allow my domain admins to have
the ability to update the schema (for my domain at least).  I realize we
need this, at least according to this whitepaper and the list FAQ.

4.  My domain is already in native mode, so that isn't a problem.  I've also
transferred all the old user accounts from my NT 4.0 domain over using the
migration wizard, so the SID's should be the same for the accounts when the
users attempt to access their mailboxes after the upgrade.

5.  I'm planning on doing a full online backup before doing anything, of
course.

I'm doing my best to read through all the information I can find on this
topic, but there are often things that are missing from such documents.

Is there anything obviously wrong with what I've talked about above?  Any
specific pointers to give on this process?

Thank you very much,

Matt