And a quick glance shows that state.gov's email passes through (something generic),
sendmail, and Trend InterScan Viruswall before being delivered to an Exchange 5.5 box.
 The latter two, and presumably the former one, are all easily configurable to block
based on any number of criteria, including attachment type, body and header content.

I therefore have to assume that the hole in the price of security is the biggest one
of all:  personell.