From: Fyodorov, Andrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:44 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: weird 5.7.1

Hey all. I am dealing with an Exchange 2000 environment that I originally put together
3 years ago and maintained all this time before I changed jobs. It worked fine all
that time. Now weird things are happening.

The environment basically consists of a back-end server and a front-end server, to
make it simple. SMTP Connector has the front-end as a bridgehead and Address Space for
SMTP with * and 1.

Inbound mail works fine.

The problem is when I send a message from OWA to an external address, I get a 5.7.1
Unable to relay error message like this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/12/2003 2:17 PM
system administrator.
  <my.backend.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This worked fine for three years and now is barking at me with these weird errors.

For some reason the back-end server thinks that this is a relay situation.

I can fix it by moving the routing group master from the back-end server to the
front-end server and back, I guess this forces the server to rebuild its routing table.

But then the problem comes back some time later.