Server - Exchange 5.5 SP4 + hotfixes on Win2k SP2
Workstation - WinXP SP1

I am trying to automagically clean out my admin mailbox from my workstation,
using the Exchange Admin Console.  Due to brute force spamming, this mailbox
has over 171k NDR's in it that I don't need or want.  They were received
between 8/29 and 8/1.  After highlighting the mailbox and going to the Tools
| Clean Mailbox... option, I have selected a number of items as follows.

- Older than 5 days, based on received date.
- Both read and unread
- All Sensitivity types
- All message types
- Delete items immediately

Once started, the tool sits at 1% for a considerable amount of time and then
it's 100% finished and goes away.  The first time it ran, I got the 1010,
1012, and 1011 events in that order, but it only got rid of ~1,000 items.
On that run, I told it to delete anything older than 15 days.  I have since
run it 3 more times, incrementing the number of days down, until I am at 5.
Since the first run, it has only deleted a maximum of 7 messages at a time.
Also, when logging into the mailbox after completion, it does not reflect
any messages having been deleted.

After trying to figure out why, I came upon these two items in the KB which
seem to be completely contradictory...which one is correct?  One of them HAS
to be right...doesn't it?  Or are they both right and that's why nothings
getting deleted?  What is the difference between the Clean Mailbox tool and
the Mailbox Manager tool?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180569
180569 - XADM: Counting Age in Clean Mailbox

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188302
188302 - XADM: Clean Mailbox Command Cannot Delete Based on Date Received

This seems to answer my question and indicate that I need to give PSS a call
for the patch:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297686
297686 - XADM: Mailbox Manager Cleans Messages According to
PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME in Service Pack 4

Additional info I've read:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305109
305109 - XADM: Exchange Server 5.5 Mailbox Manager Overview

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258758
258758 - XADM: Understanding How and When Mailbox Manager Processes Items

TIA,

~Jim