-----Original Message-----
From: Jasa, Ken [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Posted At: Friday, September 19, 2003 9:48 AM
Posted To: Exchange (Swynk)
Conversation: Not using BLB, But getting really slow backups.
Subject: Not using BLB, But getting really slow backups.

Hello,

Veritas 9 - were using version 8 and getting the same problem.
Exchange 5.5, NT4 SP6a

We can not seem to get better then 100 MB / minute backing up the
Exchange servers. using the Exchange agent. Many nights lately it is
much worse.

The NICs and ports on the switch have all be set to 100/full.
IS Maintenance is from 4am - 7am.
Ensured that Trend Server Protect is not doing any scheduled scans and
that realtime scans exclude Exchange directories.

The databases on the 2 servers are not big:
One is 25 GBs with 7 GBs of whitespace
The other is 17 GBs and only a 300 MBs of whitespace.
Nightly oneline defrags are successful.

Veritas tech notes point to a fragmented database - I don't buy that
unless Exchange IS maintenance is not functioning on both servers. I
also have a few other admins that swear by offline defrags - because
they always seemed to help.

Any ideas where I should be looking?

Thanks
Ken Jasa