From: Tony Hlabse [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 4:12 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: strange problems

Does the DC that goes down also a Global?

From: "Fyodorov, Andrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: strange problems
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:37:53 -0400

Hi all.

We are having some interesting problems with one of our Exchange 2000
SP3 cluster.

I wonder is anyone here has seen something like this.

It seems that whenever a DC *in another AD site* goes offline, this
particular Exchange server starts acting up: users can't connect to the
server with Outlook, ESM reports that the stores are dismounted,
refreshing the storage group view produces an error that Information
Store service may not be running, intermittently the stores seem to
mount again, then again appear dismounted.

Why would Exchange start acting up like this if one of many DCs goes
offline, especially if this DC is in another AD site?

We end up failing over the cluster to another node and the server is
happy again, until next time.

Also another (but I believe related) issue - today a DC in the same AD
site went offline and caused all users whose mailboxes are homed on this
cluster to receive "Error 500 Internal Server Error" in OWA.
We had to change the server properties under the DS Access tab to
manually list "good" DCs instead of letting Exchange discover DCs
automatically, then failed over the cluster - OWA started working fine
again.

The other two Exchange 2000 SP3 clusters did not get affected by this at
all. To the best of my knowledge all these clusters are built the same.
They sit in the same rack. They are on the same VLAN. They use the same
hardware. They are up to the same SP and patch levels.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
http://msnmessenger-download.com