-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Timothy
Schilbach
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 1:00 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Active Directory/Exchange 2000 Failover Question

HI Everyone,

  We are running Ad in our environment with Exchange 2000. We have 2 AD
servers in the same site and only 1 server has all FSMO roles (we havent
gotten a chance to move them yet).

  For some reason when one of our DC's failed (the one with all the FSMO
roles), our other DC did not accept incomming authentication request,
directory lookups, or outlook clients logging into Exchange.

  I am trying to understand why this issue occurs when we have 2
dircetory servers and exchange is setup to use either of them. DNS is
all setup correctly as well and resolves to both servers. I even checked
the "_"
directories under the main DNS and manually verified that all SRV
records are in place.

  Can anyone render an explanation for this? Is it because one server
has all the FSMO roles? If so, which roles should I transfer to the
other servers?

-Timothy