What version of Groupshield and are you using ESE scanning?

-----Original Message-----
From: Alastair Morrison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11 November 2003 17:29
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: E2K services stopping

Last week I posting to this list about SMTP between our
current E2K server and newly installed (into the same
organisation and routing group) E2K3 cluster.

That problem is that when sending from an E2K mailbox
via MAPI or OWA the message appears to be queued
for the E2K3 cluster and leave that queue, but no evidence
of it is ever seen on the E2K3 cluster and eventually it
reappears back in the E2K server's queue.

What does work, however, is telneting on port 25 from the
E2K server to the E2K3 cluster and conducting the SMTP
dialogue at that level.

Microsoft is now investigating this problem.

However this posting relates to the following.

Yesterday, as part of our attempts to resolve the SMTP
issue we installed and ran Winroute and Netmon on the
E2K server. (This server has run without problems for well
over a year and a half. It is uptodate with windows and
exchange service packs and patches. Groupshield antivirus
dat files are updated daily.)

Subsequently the Information store on the server has started
to stop for no apparent reason (the system log says - The
Microsoft exchange information store service terminated
unexpectedly - id 7031 ( which was of little help).
After the first occurrence we removed Netmon and after a
further occurrence rebooted the server. The problem persisted.

We also had an additional (worse?) problem. Whereas with the
above problem the information store could be manually restarted,
with the latest problem various services stopped functioning, (smtp, www,
IISadmin etc) although the Services display indicated they
were still running. Attempting to stop or start them failed and
resulted in the message - Error 1053: The service did not respond
to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Rebooting was the only way to get the services running again.

Any advice only how to restore the stability of the E2K server would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alastair Morrison
IT Services
Strathclyde University
UK

Strathclyde University
Glasgow      UK

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be
confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Any
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this
communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender. The
views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of
Sony or Sony affiliated companies. Sony email is for business use only.

(05)