-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Ault
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 8:06 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Soliciting opinions on redundant 5.5 bridgehead servers

We're attempting to conceive a plan to create a "hot swappable" Ex5.5 box
that serves exclusively as a bridgehead server (a.k.a., connector server,
for those who insist). Here's your chance to be an idea-stomper.

The idea:
- two servers, identical in hardware;
- one connected to the LAN--the other not;
- the swap box is an image of the other, kept somewhat current with weekly
re-imaging.

~~~
> Were the primary to die, the network cable for it would be plugged
> into
the swap box, and the swap box would be powered up thus functioning as the
primary.
> The swap box remains the primary and the old primary--now the new
> "swap
box"--begins the re-image cycle from the new primary.
> Later in the day, we would manually move message files stuck in the
> MTA
queue (after we learn how) between boxes via a hot swappable USB2 drive.
> Instructions for doing this manual "fail-over" would be so clear, Joey
> the
Six-toed Monkey Boy couldn't screw it up.

Not my idea, I'm very disappointed to say. But when it was presented to me,
I considered it at length and I could not think of a thing wrong with it.

Opinions? Technical landmines?