<starts doing the "running man>

You can't touch this!

-----Original Message-----
From: David, Andy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 4:12 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Migrating from GroupWise 6.5

I can moonwalk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Deckler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 4:03 PM
To: Exchange Discussions

OK people, let me spell this out for you since you seem to be having a brain
seizure.

The subject "Migrating from GroupWise 6.5" means that I am migrating a
client from GroupWise 6.5 to Exchange, specifically Exchange 2000. My
apologies, I thought that would be obvious given that this is an Exchange
list. My fault, I should have been more specific.

Now the reason that this question about the 5.2.6 client comes up in
relation to GroupWise 6.5 is that Microsoft indicates that the GroupWise 6.5
client does not work with the Exchange Migration Wizard. I actually have not
tested this completely but will before the end of the week. I decided to go
with a known entity, the GroupWise 5.2.6 client, the recommended client from
Microsoft. So, from preliminary testing, you have to run the 5.2.6 client to
interact with the Exchange Migration Wizard but it also has to interact with
the GroupWise 6.5 PO, hence the question to the list.

Now, thanks entirely to myself and no thanks to the sarcastic peanut
gallery, I have solved this issue and am more than happy to pass along my
findings in the hope that someone else may benefit from this knowledge.

I was able to get the 5.2.6 client working against the 6.5 PO by removing
the checkbox to enforce a minimum client on the GroupWise PO and by doing
some file copying. What I did was to install the standard GroupWise 5.2.6
client on a workstation. However, running it against the GroupWise 6.5 PO
generated an error, something to the effect that "Your PO does not have the
correct views for this client". So, I went into the "ofviews\win" directory
on the client and copied the non-duplicate files to the "ofviews\win"
directory of the GroupWise 6.5 PO. I did not replace any .vew or .ini files
and while I have not tested it, I would not recommend that you replace any
of the 6.5 files with 5.x files.

Thus far, I have tested this successfully connecting in DIRECT mode to the
GW PO. The GW 5.2.6 client works and the Exchange Migration Wizard works.
One item of note is that the extraction seems to be taking an inordinately
long amount of time. While previous experience has shown DIRECT to be faster
in the extraction versus CLIENT/SERVER, I am going to test CLIENT/SERVER
next. And then I am going to test using a GroupWise 6.5 client instead of
the 5.2.6 client but I do not anticipate that will work. If anyone has some
specific experience on this and knows for sure, I'd appreciate a heads-up so
that I can avoid wasting time.

Since this is the first GroupWise 6.5 migration that I have done and from
the lack of any useful information from the list perhaps one of the very
first or very few, I'll keep the list updated with information on how this
goes and any caveats or issues I encounter.