-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Timothy
Schilbach
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 3:34 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange 2000 Service Account Permissions

Hi All,

  I was wondering if you all have maybe heard of a resolution for the
following problem:

  As of Exchange 2k SP2, MS has removed the ability for teh service
account to view users email content. This means I cannot bind to a user
mailbox with my service account for maintenance or programming realated
features.

  I tried a work arround that basically took me to the properties of an
exchange store, then to the permissions. I then made a copy of the
inherited permissions and allowed my service account full access to
mailboxes in that store.

  I figgured that would be enough. We ll interrestingly enough, I have
an application that counts the email (read and unread items) in a users
mailbox. I have created a custom VB.Net control that I have placed on
our intranet pages that shows the user how much email is in their box
and how many new items.

  I would usually just use the account the user logged in with, but teh
intranet login is fed from a SQL database and not an NTLM login. SO I
dont have the real credentials of the user, just the mailbox alias. I
figgured if I used the service account I could work arround the
permissions issue.

 It works from some users but not others. All of our users that use this
APP are all besed on the same server, storage group, and store.

  Does anyone know why I would get a login error for some accounts but
not all?

Timothy H. Schilbach
Alpha Omega Design Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]