The second scenario still presents the potential for a conflict of
interest. If you are accepting gifts from vendors then you may not be
forthcoming with all information about problems or issues with the system
that might cause the client to choose NOT to migrate, hold off on
migration, etc. Still the potential for conflict of interest.