SPAM
-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] På vegne af Erik Sojka
Sendt: 22. december 2003 19:46
Til: Exchange Discussions
Emne: RE: Greg's Utterly Fascinating Views on Ethics

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the types of consulting
engagements.

One such type: "I want to put in a new email system.  Please tell me which system from
all of the major players would fit in my environment."

Another such type: "I've already decided that Lotus Notes is the email system for me.
Please draw from your vendor-specific expertise and help me with my deployment."

There are others of course.  You seem fixated on the ethical problems that might arise
with a vendor-biased consultant being hired for the first of my examples.  In this
first example, you are completely correct in pointing out the very real conflict of
interest.  I cannot and should not expect completely neutral recommendations from a
person who markets themselves as an expert in $vendor's technology.  Logic would
dictate that the consultant would recommend the technology that they are affiliated
with.

You have completely and repeatedly ignored the possibility of the second (and IMO more
frequently occurring) type.  If I am already running a $vendor shop, I want to hire
the best talent I can.  I would expect that the best talent I can find would be
familiar with $vendor technology.  The decision to use a particular vendor has already
been made.  By me.  Without any prodding or
cajoling by said consultant.