-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Shotton Jolyon
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 12:51 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Greg's Utterly Fascinating Views on Ethics

Well, titles can be very handy - we have an honours system in the UK that
would seem to back that up.

But they are not as valuable as personal reputation as is evidenced by the
number of people that refuse these titles on point of principle - often very
publicly.  (As you have done with your MVP, it occurs to me.)

I'd wager that Ed, for example, is proud of his online reputation.  He would
not want to be seen as being under the influence of Microsoft and if the MVP
programme put him in that position or even if he felt it made a significant
number of people consider him to be in that position I suspect he would not
be pleased.

Now 8 out of 10 list members who expressed a preference said their cats
couldn't give a rat's rectum about Ed having an MVP so his reputation is
intact and he's happy to continue to be an MVP.

It is this issue of reputation that keeps the argument alive - not any great
love or covetousness of the award.  You could slag off Microsoft, Exchange,
the MVP programme or the dreadful Christmas sweaters that people are wearing
right now and any fuss you managed to produce would die down fairly quickly
but it is the suggestion that reputations are tarnished by the acceptance of
an MVP award that has got people's backs up to the extent they are.

There are plenty of people on here who are not and are never likely to be
MVPs but they are still prepared to argue the toss - they have no conflict
of interests here, no business built on an ethical manifesto, no supplier
plying them with trinkets, no particular reputation of their own to defend
and no reason to defend the MVP programme.  That they do suggests that they
are genuine in their belief that it is harmless.