The books are now incorrect.  It is best to install the Active Directory Connector from the Exchange2000 servicepack2 CD or download.  The differences?  One works better. ;o)

Wow... these are big letters...

William

 -----Original Message-----
From: ONG Liang Bu (CSC) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 5:29 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: 1st phase of upgrading from 5.5 to 2k

I post something similar before.  Hope to check with the experts to clarify
on some finer points.

Exchange 5.5 migrating to Exchange 2000.  We are in the first phase of migartion.

We are purchasing two server to be installed as win2k Domain Controllers.
These two DCs will install the DNS, Global Catalog, and Active Directory.
Migrating to Exchange 2000 will be on second phase.

Questions:
1.  More that one Exchange 2000 reference books tells me I must install with
the Active Directory from Exchange 2000 CD and not the one on win2k CD.
Question is what is the difference between these two?

2.  I understand once the AD is up, I need to install the Acitve Directory Connector
in Exchange 5.5 to sync the directory information in Exchange with the AD.
Just curious what happen immediately after the AD Connector is up.
Is all the users X.500 directories in the Information Store export out and write into
the AD?  Also in future if I modify something in the user's mailbox does it mean it
will automatically update to the AD?  Vice-versa if I modify the AD will it get
reflect on Exchange 5.5 mailboxes?

Thanks for any help

Ong LB
Singapore