Subject: Ducks Quack, Eagles Soar - A MUST READ 



 











No one can make you serve customers well. That's because great service is a 
choice.

Harvey Mackay, tells a wonderful story about a cab driver that proved this 
point.

He was waiting in line for a ride at the airport. When a cab pulled up, the 
first thing Harvey noticed was that the taxi was polished to a bright shine. 
Smartly dressed in a white shirt, black tie, and freshly pressed black slacks, 
the cab driver jumped out and rounded the car to open the back passenger door 
for Harvey .

He handed my friend a laminated card and said: 'I'm Wally, your driver. While 
I'm loading your bags in the trunk I'd like you to read my mission statement.'

Taken aback, Harvey read the card.

It said: Wally's Mission Statement:

To get my customers to their destination in the quickest, safest and cheapest 
way possible in a friendly environment.

This blew Harvey away. Especially when he noticed that the inside of the cab 
matched the outside. Spotlessly clean!

As he slid behind the wheel, Wally said, 'Would you like a cup of coffee? I 
have a thermos of regular and one of decaf.'

My friend said jokingly, 'No, I'd prefer a soft drink.'

Wally smiled and said, 'No problem. I have a cooler up front with regular and 
Diet Coke, water and orange juice.'

Almost stuttering, Harvey said, 'I'll take a Diet Coke.'

Handing him his drink, Wally said, 'If you'd like something to read, I have The 
Wall Street Journal, Time, Sports Illustrated and USA Today.'

As they were pulling away, Wally handed my friend another laminated card, 
'These are the stations I get and the music they play, if you'd like to listen 
to the radio.'

And as if that weren't enough, Wally told Harvey that he had the air 
conditioning on and asked if the temperature was comfortable for him.

Then he advised Harvey of the best route to his destination for that time of 
day. He also let him know that he'd be happy to chat and tell him about some of 
the sights or, if Harvey preferred, to leave him with his own thoughts.

'Tell me, Wally,' my amazed friend asked the driver, 'have you always served 
customers like this?'

Wally smiled into the rear view mirror. 'No, not always. In fact, it's only 
been in the last two years. My first five years driving, I spent
most of my time complaining like all the rest of the cabbies do. Then I heard 
the personal growth guru, Wayne Dyer, on the radio one day.

He had just written a book called You'll See It When You Believe It. Dyer said 
that if you get up in the morning expecting to have a bad day, you'll rarely 
disappoint yourself. He said, 'Stop complaining! Differentiate yourself from 
your competition. Don't be a duck. Be an eagle. Ducks quack and complain. 
Eagles soar above the crowd.''

'That hit me right between the eyes,' said Wally.

'Dyer was really talking about me. I was always quacking and complaining, so I 
decided to change my attitude and become an eagle. I looked around at the other 
cabs and their drivers. The cabs were dirty, the drivers were unfriendly, and 
the customers were unhappy. So I decided to make some changes. I put in a few 
at a time. When my customers responded well, I did more.'

'I take it that has paid off for you,' Harvey said.

'It sure has,' Wally replied. 'My first year as an eagle, I doubled my income 
from the previous year. This year I'll probably quadruple it. You were lucky to 
get me today. I don't sit at cabstands anymore. My customers call me for 
appointments on my cell phone or leave a message on my answering machine. If I 
can't pick them up myself, I get a reliable cabbie friend to do it and I take a 
piece of the action.'

Wally was phenomenal. He was running a limo service out of a Yellow Cab. I've 
probably told that story to more than fifty cab drivers over
the years, and only two took the idea and ran with it. Whenever I go to their 
cities, I give them a call. The rest of the drivers quacked like ducks and told 
me all the reasons they couldn't do any of what I was suggesting.

Wally the Cab Driver made a different choice. He decided to stop quacking like 
ducks and start soaring like eagles.

How about us?

Smile, and the whole world smiles with you...

The ball is in our hands!

Ducks Quack, Eagles Soar

_

. 
__,_._,___ 
















      
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"EX,GHPS,1988,V.V" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/exghps1988v_v?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to