Amarpal,
              Sorry,I know you asked this question from Bindu but i was also
part of the conversation so i am saying something.
I was reading the comments on MSN of one of the renowned economists.His
opinion is that it is going to be the biggest recession in
history and ofcourse it will effect the whole world but in his opinion it
will not be a depression because of several changes in the
infrastructures of the countries since 1920's(the last depression of U.S)
If you log on msn.com and read the comments and reasonings of this person
then they do make sense.
But again,these are anticipations,guesses or predictions so they could be
wrong.
As you must have read few months ago there was a big food shortage in some
states which is quite paradoxical for U.S.
One of the biggest banks of U.S named WAMU went out of business last
month.U.S government is doing economic bail outs for
several different businesses.Banks then auto industry and don't know which
is next.
I know several U.S based companies have closed thier numerous offices in
India which means the begining of recession in
India as well.These companies went to India and spoiled the new generation
by giving them hefty salaries.
Now,the new generation is spoiled.If they will lose their jobs then it will
increase crime and so on.
Let's all pray to God for HIM to shower his love on all of us and give
prosperity and happiness to everybody in this world.

Mani