On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:46 AM, Wulf C. Krueger <philant...@exherbo.org>
wrote:

> Hello Saleem et al,
>
> On 28.02.2015 19:22, Saleem Abdulrasool wrote:
> > I think that its about time that we consider crossing over to
> > cross.
>
> Yes!
>
> > In preparation for this migration, I would like to gather the set
> > of things that we must do before we actually engage in merging the
> > necessary changes.
>
> We have the todo list at http://www.exherbo.org/docs/multiarch.html.
> Today, I've added the following items:
>
> Pre-migration:
> * Write proper developer docs, like e. g.
> http://www.exherbo.org/docs/multibuild.html
>
> I consider this to be *very* important (and I'm aware you'll likely
> disagree about needing this pre-migration).
> I've seen what happens if things just get added (e. g. the newish
> python stuff) and docs are promised "soon after" - it never happens
> and that's truly detrimental to the quality in Exherbo and to at least
> my own motivation. (grep for WULF_IS_ANGRY in ::python or look
> directly at dev-python/apsw's exheres.)
>
> So I'm *very* *very* keen on getting proper docs. And, of course, I'm
> willing to help but at the moment I don't even know where to start.

Already taken care of.  We can kill at least one item on the list :-D.

> * Changing the paths in /etc/env.d/00basic and /etc/profile needs to
> be done in sys-apps/skeleton-filesystem-layout

This should be straightforward enough, I think

> * sys-apps/skeleton-filesystem-layout can't currently be
> (re-)installed in cross, e. g. edo ln -sfn "${LIBDIR}" "${ROOT}${x}"

Yes, this is more interesting.  I think moben had worked out a way to make
this work.

> * Get https://galileo.mailstation.de/gerrit/#/c/115 merged into
> wip/cross-compiling
> * Fix Paludis' tests (stripper) in wip/cross-compiling

Yes, the cross-stripper is probably the next biggest thing remaining.

> * Merge wip/cross-compiling into Paludis' master
>
> Well, these points should be obvious. :-)
>
> * Prepare a new Paludis release
>
> Telling people to use scm and downgrade later is annoying. Releases
> are relatively cheap so this should be done after everything else
> Paludis-related is done (bugfixes not withstanding) but pre-migration.
>
> * Figure out what to do about the remaining stuff in several
> (deprecated/obsolete) directories:
>
> ls -l /bin /sbin /lib /lib64 /usr/bin/ /usr/lib /usr/lib64 /usr/sbin
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  5 Feb 28 08:03 /lib -> lib64
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  5 Feb 28 08:03 /usr/lib -> lib64
>
> As I see it, we can just get rid of these two.

No strong opinion on this.

> /bin:
> total 1248
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1029496 Mar  2 22:19 bash
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   32328 Mar  2 20:37 kill
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   31912 Mar  2 23:20 pwd
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   40072 Mar  2 23:20 readlink
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   60712 Mar  2 23:20 rm
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   70664 Mar  2 18:01 sed
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       4 Mar  2 22:19 sh -> bash
>
> - -> /usr/${CHOST}/bin ???

Yes, /bin should be a symlink to /usr/${CHOST}/bin.

> /lib64:
> total 140
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 140944 Mar  2 18:45 ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>
> - -> /lib (hardcoded in the Linux kernel, IIRC,right?)

IIRC, this is something that can be configured.  I assume you meant for the
modules.  However, the alternative is pretty nice too: /lib symlinked to
/usr/${CHOST}/lib

> /sbin:
> total 864
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 882840 Mar  2 18:45 ldconfig
>
> - -> /usr/${CHOST}/bin (yes, bin)

Yeah.

> /usr/bin/:
> total 72
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27880 Mar  2 23:20 env
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    29 Mar  2 23:21 m4 ->
> ../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/m4
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40072 Mar  2 23:20 readlink
>
> - -> /usr/${CHOST}/bin ???

Exactly.

> /usr/lib64:
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6 Mar  2 23:41 debug
>
> Will be solved by the pending Paludis patch.
>
> /usr/lib64/locale/locale-archive <--- can simply be nuked.

I think we should update the migration guide on this point.

> /usr/sbin:
> total 0
>
> Nuke it.

You're getting the point.

> We should get completely rid of the sbin/bin split. Let's just use bin
> and be done with it. The split is archaic nonsense that should have
> been abolished at least a decade ago.
>
> The above directory stuff needs to be done before the migration in
> order to avoid later messy chaos.

Thats certainly possible.  However, that results in two rebuilds of */*::/.

> Post-migration:
>
> * Implement multiple cross compilation hosts/targets:
>
> Details are in the document.
>

> Furthermore, we now have several places we're gathering stuff at -
> this very mailinglist, the bugtracker and our IRC logs. :-)
>
> Since the remaining issues are mostly well-defined tasks, I'd like to
> suggest using our Bugzilla to track everything.

Sure.  Thanks for volunteering to create the bugs to track the items ;-).

> E. g. filing a tracker bug for The Great Merge (Take Two) and several
> blocking bugs for the different tasks themselves. I'll gladly do that
> if we can agree on handling things like this.
>
> What do you say?

Let's get the show on the road!

--
Saleem Abdulrasool