Terms like "heavier counterparts" are used quite often but there is no reliable
definition on any term like that.
And if people try to have a go at it, it very often proves them wrong.
I'm just saying that you should be very careful with using terms like that.
Look at any embedded posix system, there is a reason they don't use coreutils.

Does anybody really care about space on an Exherbo system (serious question)?
(We are talking about a few MBs here at most.)
It's not really the space I have an issue with, it's the code quality of most GNU software.