On 2015-12-02 at 14:43 +0000, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> Do we have anybody out there doing development work on MacOS?
> (Come to that, do we have any users?)

Me, though not MacOS-specific.  Golang work with Mac as my local system.
I've occasionally built Exim for laptops, but usually log into other
systems.

I've yet to make the jump to El Capitan.  Waiting for 10.11.1 or 10.11.2
before I do.

> I hear via another project that OX 10.11 El Capitan has removed
> the OpenSSL header files, presumably as part of Apple's apparent
> push to get all Mac software to use *their* security.  This presents
> an issue for continued Exim development.  One option would be to
> add a third supported TLS package to the two (OpenSSL, GnuTLS)
> currently supported - but this will be a fairly large effort and
> one I think best done by a dev who has a need for it (which means,
> not me).  Another would be to note that you have to install your
> own OpenSSL headers.
>
> Or, we could abandon MacOS for the future.

Viktor is right, this isn't a big deal.  We just declare "we depend upon
either OpenSSL or GnuTLS, install one first".

It means that those who haven't already done so run `brew install
openssl`.

Witness:
  https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/exim.rb
- already depends upon the brewed variant of OpenSSL.

I haven't installed brew'd Exim before, I normally build from source/git
when I want one locally, I have a Local/Makefile and template configure
file checked into git somewhere.

Apple's change makes it _easier_ for us, because we'll have less dealing
with people who build against one set of headers but link against a
different library.  They'll have to be specifying a header include path
so are more likely to be specifying a library path too.

-Phil