For the record, the expectation is:

 - Absent DANE TLSA records, the literal MX hostname, which is
   of course insecurely obtained from MX records, so validation
   is mostly an exercise in futility.  It would only mean something
   if MTA-STS were implemented, but Exim does not MTA-STS last I
   heard.

 - If DANE TLSA records are found at some "TLSA base domain"
   (which is either the securely CNAME expanded MX host, or else
   the original MX host from the signed MX RRset), then that's
   the name to use in SNI and check in the certificate when validating
   "2 X X" TLSA records).

--
        Viktor.