azzouz wrote:

W B Hacker wrote:

azzouz wrote:

hi,

I want to store aliases informations in ldap in order to view then from a client mail and eventualy to modify then. Is it possible ? Some have done it ?

*trim*

Could you give me some exemple concerning aliases management ?

Works like any other DB-driven lookup, jut generate the mail storage location from a DB lookup instead of, or a *part of* the usual:

/path/to/<[EMAIL PROTECTED] | lookup(s)>/<Maildir | mox>.

All we do is create another 'user' record with no loginID or PWD, and the same local mail storage location as the 'primary' user.

At router/transport query time, as on DB lookups for verify = recipient, Exim finds a 'valid user', likewise at router/transport delivery time.

For these steps, Exim does do not ask for or care about the missing POP/IMAP login info, which we keep in separate fields from smtp-send, even if contents are (normally) the same.

If you also want to allow sending as the 'alias' - give it an SMTP login, but not necessarily a POP/IMAP login.

Do the reverse to 'share' a 'helpdesk' function - multiple POP/IMAP loginID/PWD - same storage area.

Obviously, once an identiy has 'all of the baove' it isn't really an 'alias' any longer.

Easier to handle departing staff than disseminating a new shared UID/PWD.

CAVEAT: Have a care to use the Exim ability to query the whole router chain for recipient verification, not the DB.

ELSE dispense with system_aliases and local shell-account routers and use the DB for that class of folks as well.

Otherwise, you would be able to route to 'postmaster', but will have already rejected the traffic on the basis of no DB entry...

HTH,

Bill Hacker