Marc Perkel wrote:

W B Hacker wrote:

Marc Perkel wrote:

*trimmed*

> the email address

I need to verify isn't either the sender or the recipient. I need to verify and arbetrary address that I generate to see if it exists

Pardon my ignorance, but if you are the one who 'generates' it and it is truly 'arbitrary' then WOGGE would you *expect* it to 'exist'?

Or, perhaps backing into it, why 'generate' an address, known to be 'arbitrary', or otherwise, if the goal is to insure delivery?

Would it not be more reasonable to instruct / assist clients to have a 'quarantine' account or folder with characteristics specified in advance, then drop traffic on the floor if they don't comply?

It is probable spam we are talking about, is it not?

How much engineering can that justify vs stuffing **SPAM?** into a header???

Or is your 'service' falsing on you too often?   ;-)

Bill

I have several levels of spam classification. Low scoring spam I tag and pass on. Higher scoring spam I bounce or blackhole. Or sometimes I do direct folder deliver of different grades of spam.

Umhh ... 'grades' of spam.  Sounds like archaeo-scatology. ;-)

Have you not observed a non-linear distribution, with a pronounced 'gap' between might-be, and sure-as-heck-is?

Maybe I have less patience, but I just ignore scores under 2.0, alter the subject to include **SPAM* ... (often it is not) between 2.0 and 3.4, and refuse anything over 3.4 / 3.5 (nearly always it IS).

Above 3.5, we see maybe one 'false positive' a week score 4.3 to 7, nearly always of yahoo origin forwarded by a broken OE client, so rather easily managed.

Most of the rest scores in the teens, twenties, and up.

Mind - I have many of SA's tests either customized or turned off, which offsets the scores by about 2 or 3 points, but is faster.

That usually puts paid to the 10% or so that firewall, local blacklist, and Exim generic protocol & DNS checks haven't already discarded.

Can't see much point in pushing spam about from one place to another, though for the best part of two years we fake-rejected and archived thousands of messages for analysis.

It was worth the effort.

YMMV,

Bill