Tom Kistner wrote:
Marc Perkel wrote:

Basicly my idea is that when a dictionary tack occurs I want to block
the IP address for a short period of time as a load reduction trick with
the chain being cleared every few minutes.

I've been doing this for a few months with very good results. Not to
reduce the load, but unclutter the logs :)

Everyone submitting spam or being matched against an RBL is put on the
blacklist for five minutes. This does wonders for the log size and
readability.

I do this via a script I called "timeban". It's universal so it can be
used for other blocking purposes as well. Handles management of a
blocking chain. Can also manage counters per-IP so you can block IPs
after multiple infractions ... useful for SSH dictionary "attacks" too.

Maybe I'll write some short docs next week and put it in the wiki.

/tom

That would be great. Love to see your code.