On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 10:51 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
[snip other items for clarity]
> I think my hosts are frequently listed, but I've only _once_ noticed it
> causing a rejection -- and in that case, the admin of the rejecting mail
> server was easily persuaded to stop using backscatterer.org after the
> problems with it were explained.
>
> You can't worry about _every_ random blacklist out there run by idiots.

It is probably not fair to lump UCEProtect with the 'random blacklist
run by idiots' badge. I would agree that it can be a touch aggressive in
some instances, but on the whole it is a useful tool.

Personally I applaud them for *trying* to do something about the
backscatter issue. There really is little need for a properly set up
server to reject mail it cannot deliver after agreeing to accept it. The
only credible argument I've seen is the case of over-quota on a
non-local mail store. Even then I suspect it would be possible to hash a
simple api or helper script to check this. Quite apart from the 'digital
anti social behaviour' of accept then reject, there is the question of
overall efficiency of it. That, however, is just my own view and I
certainly don't hold the kind of qualifications of logic ability of the
master of Exim being a mere rookie with it.