Thank you Heiko and Merlin,

lookups are my really weak point ;-) and my lack on a grasp on regex hampers me even more. I know I should change this on the long run, but for now your short term help is very much appreciated...

A one-time change to the conf is acceptable, of course.

I had hope for a solution to keep my alias file the single point of maintenance AND keep it compilable by exim_dbmbuild. I would like to stick with the simple

        require verify = recipient

for validation. My lookup now is

        data = ${lookup{$local_part}dbm{/etc/exim/$domain.aliases.db}}

Can I still do what I want with dbm, and how would I write the alias file for entries meaning

myname[digits]: myname

Thanks
Hardy