Thanks, Andreas, but I think this is a different problemā€¦

On my Exim I see either:

   - the message is accepted into the queue then successfully delivered
   onward and removed from my queue, but the sending MTA doesn't see the SMTP
   2xx response so *it* retains the message in *its* queues, or
   - the message does not arrive into my queue completely, with each end
   sitting there waiting for something, before eventually one end times out
   and the connection closes again leaving the message in the *far end's*
    queue.

It's this first that's giving rise to duplicate transmissions from the far
MTA and deliveries, and the latter to repeated attempts to transmit the
message in to us and having it fail.

There must be something odd somewhere if others are using cutthrough
successfully, as these servers only relay a small amount of incoming mail
to a couple of local servers plus virtual host some legacy domains. It's
not exactly busy! Strangeā€¦

Cheers,
Mike B-)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 19:00, Andreas Metzler via Exim-users <
exim-users@exim.org> wrote:

> Mike Brudenell via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> wrote:
> [..]
> > The sad news is that I've had to give up on cutthrough_delivery and turn
> it
> > off. The problems we were seeing:
> [...]
> >    - Duplicate deliveries when our Exim sometimes received enough of the
> >    message to spool into the queue but the far end didn't get the SMTP
> >    acknowledgement because the connection had "stuck", so held the
> message in
> >    their queues to retry later;
>
> Sounds like this change in exim 4.91+fixes:
>
> JH/05 Bug 2273: Cutthrough delivery left a window where the received
> messsage
>       files in the spool were present and unlocked.  A queue-runner could
> spot
>       them, resulting in a duplicate delivery.  Fix that by doing the
> unlock
>       after the unlink.  Investigation by Tim Stewart.
>
> cu Andreas
>

> --

Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)1904-323811

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm