On 2020-07-18 05:22, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2020-07-18 The Doctor via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@???> wrote:
> > Trying Exim 4.94 and I am getting
>

> > 2020-07-17 19:28:04.818 [8344] 1jwbdQ-00023D-Cx == doctor@??? R=localuser
> > T=local_delivery defer (-1) DT=0.001s: Tainted '/var/mail/doctor' (file or
> > directory name for local_delivery transport) not permitted
>
> Exim specification, concept index, de-tainting.

This answer has been posted several times here and it's not so useful IMHO. I
think you're referring to this information:
https://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-string_expansions.html

Please put yourself in the position of the administrator. He may have been
using exim with his configuration for years - in my case it was over four years
- and suddenly the configuration is broken in several ways. Just because of a
minor version update.

Now you can find information like
https://git.exim.org/exim.git/blob/HEAD:/src/README.UPDATING and this is
incomplete. The change doesn't only break transports, routers are also
affected. This tainted thing affects many parts of the configuration and to my
option there is only a very rough explanation of the concept of de-tainting.

Most administrators would just need a few (!) practical examples of how
de-tainting works, i.e. a before / after version of the configuration. I would
write it if I could, but I don't have the knowledge.

I've posted three examples here that work with exim < 4.94, but not with exim
>= 4.94 anymore. Unfortunately there were problems with the copy & paste, so
the configuration was broken. Here is a corrected version:

Routers
========
local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  directory = /home/${local_part}/.maildir

virtual_aliases:
  driver = redirect
  domains = lsearch; /etc/exim/virtual_domains
  data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/exim/$domain/aliases}}
  no_more

Transport
=========
procmail:
  driver = pipe
  command = "/usr/bin/procmail -d $local_part"
  return_path_add
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  user = $local_part
  initgroups
  return_output

Or take this example:
https://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20200626.075008.113d07ad.en.html

I strongly believe it would be very helpful, if the developers would rewrite
some of these configurations and publish it in the documentation.

I think a lot of people are currently faced to problems because of this change
and I guess a lot of them just downgraded exim (for example:
https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19994) because this is nothing
you can repair in a hour or so.