On 9/16/2020 3:40 PM, Yves Goergen via Exim-users wrote:
Hello,

The Exim documentation [1] says:

> The PAM module is initialized with the service name “exim”

Can I change this? Is there a config option or something or should I give up my search and change my PAM configuration? I'd like to share the service with Dovecot (IMAP, POP3) to simplify the backend and prefer not to use the name "exim" for Dovecot as it could be confusing, but rather a generic name like "email".

Afraid not. You'd have to patch the code. But why bother? You can do the same thing multiple ways. For example, I have Exim and Dovecot on my server (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), and both run as the user Debian-exim. Yes, Dovecot isn't exim, but it's easy to make it work just the same. As for PAM itself, I'd just do a hard link to the /etc/pam.d/exim file. Call it dovecot or something maybe. But then you just point your Dovecot pam system that way. I personally don't use PAM for exim. It wouldn't work for what I need. But if you are already using PAM to authenticate exim or other mail related programs against, then I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

--
--- Dan